Saturday, October 17, 2015

Low Quality Raster LOGO Reconstruction in Vector Format

Preparation

For this assignment, I was given a horrible quality Batman logo, and the goal was to deliver a high quality Batman logo. While scanning this photo, I set the resolution to 600, the color mode to greyscale since there is no color to the picture, and scaled at 100%. After selecting the preferred area of the I wanted to scan, I saved the scan as a descriptive name, location, and as a TIFF file.

Bad Quality TIFF File (Original)









Clean Up in Photoshop

In Photoshop, I made sure that the color mode was still in greyscale. Next I adjusted the leaves of the image to clear out the background from the pixels. I found that if I moved the level options to the the middle, I found that it made the background more white, and still maintaining the logo. I also changed the the width to 8600.

Cleaned Up Photoshop Logo









Live Trace in Illustrator

After Photoshop, I opened up the cleaned logo from Photoshop into Adobe Illustrator. In the Image Trace dropbox, I selected Black and White Logo and hit expand. It made the image look better and I'd recommend doing this step to others.

Live Trace Batman Logo


Logo Reconstruction Using the Pen Tool in Illustrator

I opened a new document in Adobe Illustrator using the live trace image file. Next, I used the Pen Tool to draw an oval like the one in the Batman logo using only 2 anchor points. By starting at the middle of the logo, I started my line. Using the shift key, it straightens out your line when you're about to curve it. I clicked and dragged the curve so it outlined the left side of the logo to the middle of the bottom of the logo. I clicked and dragged the curve and then connected it to the anchor. After aligning the oval with the Batman logo, I added the a black stroke it that had 25 pts, and a yellow fill.
It was time to move onto outlining the bat. Using the Pen Tool, I started at a point on the bat, connected it to an area diagonal of it, and clicked and dragged the curve. I repeated this method all around the bat until I connected it to the initial anchor.Once I got around the entire bat, I shaped up the curves to fit the bat better, and adding and subtracting the anchors where it needed, and used the command and option keys. 
Finally put the stroke of the bat to black, I moved the Bat logo in front of the oval, and created a new and improved Batman Logo.


Pen Tool Batman Logo



File Formats

The file formats that I used during this assignment was a TIFF, PSDs, AIs, and JPGS. I used the TIFF format after I scanned the logo into the computer. I saved as PSD on the files I used in Photoshop and also saving the file as a JPG for sending purposes.  I saved as AI on the files I used in Adobe Illustrator and also saving the file as a JPG for sending purposes. 

Advice on Vector Creation

I would advice anyone that you're not going to get it all right in the first time you try it. Practice makes better and keep trying until you get it right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment